Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Ultrasound was sound

Good news from this morning's ultrasound: everything is normal. The staff at the clinic were great. We met with 4 different people and they were all very warm and helpful. Heather even told the nurse that it was the best blood drawing she had ever had. Well, maybe we were a little high from just seeing the ultrasound, but still...

We first met with a Genetic Counselor and she went through our histories and all the potential problems a developing baby faces. It was actually pretty scary. I really had no idea that Down Syndrome was totally random - it has nothing to do with your history or genetics.

I think we were both a little apprehensive when we went into the ultrasound room after that. But once we saw Huevo pop up on the screen, all the worries seemed to melt away. I was trying to watch her measure this area behind the neck where they can see warning signs for any chromosome problems. I thought it read .21 cm, which we knew was in the normal range. Then when the doctor came in, he confirmed it. He was a pretty funny guy actually - he walked in the room and said in one breath, "I'm Dr. So and So, everything's normal, do you have any questions?" He also said that Huevo was the cutest baby he'd seen all day, but we didn't really buy that one. Both he and the ultrasound lady said it looked like Huevo was a girl, but it was too soon to confirm.

We still have to wait for the official results and the blood test on Cystic Fibrosis, but I think we're both feeling pretty good at this point. I was showing off the ultrasound pictures at work this morning, like a real proud papa!

2 comments:

Heather Best said...

Actually i think the doctor was being honest...i mean look at that nose. Pretty cute!!!

Stella said...

Sweet sweet Huevo! I love her!

It's heartbreaking to go through these tests and for me I didn't much care for it. Our doctor spoke to me in French during the procedure...which calmed me down. I still remember our conversation vividly.

We realized after all the tears and Murray needing a shot gun how much we love our daughter. Life opens up your heart.

I am over joyed for both of you. Let's see each other soon.